Monday, August 17, 2009

++Big News!++

We sure haven't been lacking in that department lately, have we? Well, we've been working on something really important while living in our dungeon and we are proud to announce that Wyatt is potty trained! Excuse the photo...we had to get creative to get the photo.

They said no pets in this place but nowhere did I see anything about not allowing preschoolers with low bladder control to dance around in next to no clothes. I figured I'd rather have accidents in a rental place than in our new house on OUR furniture...is that so bad? We did a modified version of the 3-day method (you basically just stop putting diapers or pull-ups on and take what you get). We only have had about 3 or 4 accidents...not bad! I learned right away that pull-ups are a crutch. Wyatt knew when he had them on and even though he stayed dry all the time at home, he would go in them (and tell me as he was doing it) while we were away from home. I just had to go for it and hope for the best and started taking him out in underwear. We had an interesting evening at at restaurant (thank goodness it was super casual and outdoor), but other than that it has been great. We spend a lot of time in this place pants free. I worry he is getting used to that! Pooping...well that's another story. We have some fear issues in that area. We're working on it. For now he is requesting a diaper to take care of business. He is so going to kill me for this post when he is 16, isn't he?

The main motivation for all of this (besides keeping accidents out of our new house) is preschool. I really want to get him into some program (the poor kid is so starved for peer interaction) and most of them require potty trained kiddos. He is bright enough to run with the three-year-olds, I just didn't want diapers to stand in his way.

Finally, a conversation I had with Wyatt yesterday.
Mom: "What kind of party should we have for your birthday?"
W: "A firetruck party!"
Mom: "That's what we did last year. Let's try something new. How about a rocket ship party?"
W: "But where are we going to get a rocket ship from?"

1 comment:

Allison M said...

YEAH!!! Congrats. You know I swear by the 3 day method. Pooping will come... stick with it. It took an extra week or so for my kids to master that - they just don't get as much practice. ;)