Wednesday, April 2, 2008

++3 Month Report Card++

April 1 means that we have been down here for three months. Feels like forever and like no time has passed all at the same time. I thought it would be a good time to reflect on my Memphis report card. I'll put on the most positive hat I can find for this one.

:)

  • For the most part we really like our house. The layout works great for our lifestyle and having some modern perks like our own bathroom and closets and an attached garage has been nice.

  • Our neighborhood is great as well. I always feel good when I turn into it. The houses are beautiful (ours is one of the least expensive to give you an idea) and everyone takes good care of them. I also love that there are kids everywhere. Last week Wyatt and I spent an hour outside watching the next door neighbors try to fly a kite.

  • This whole "Mothers Day Out" phenomenon is quite easy to get used to. I wish there was a small component that allowed us mothers to meet each other but I can't complain about childcare at less than $2 an hour.

  • We love our health club. There is always room to do what you want. It's super nice and clean. The day care is nice (they greet Wyatt by name now---which makes me feel good...that means I must be working out enough). I hear the pool is great for the summer. And, when Wyatt gets a little older there are classes for him as well.

  • BBQ. We liked it before we moved here and don't mind being in the home of barbeque. Mmmm...tasty.

  • The temperature (notice I didn't say weather since it storms and rains too much) is quite nice. Can't complain about low 70s in March!

  • We have this great park not far from our house. Wyatt loves it and I love that it is handicap accessible (which also means toddler accessible). Lots of ramps and things Wyatt can safely do on his own. We visit there often.

:(

  • The news here stinks. We miss KARE 11. Not only is the content disturbing but the quality is not so great either. I guess it's not easy to get people to move here to report on the fun happenings in a town like Memphis.

  • Getting around is not so easy. I miss all the highways we had in Minnesota. They just don't have those here. We also live REALLY far out so maybe that contributes to it as well.

  • I'm not loving our yard. I was not prepared for the swampiness to last for three days after each time it rains. Since it rains every other day, it's always wet. This is the joy of clay. Also...we have weeds everywhere. I was trying to spend my time "playing" outside with Wyatt pulling weeds but I can't keep up. We're trying to avoid the chemical spray people but we may end up down that path before we turn into "those people with the weedy lawn." Mark reminds me when I complain about this that our lawn in MN would have been covered in snow right now. Hey---at least that's kind of pretty!

  • SHOPPING. 9.25% sales tax. No Anthropologie. No Pottery Barn Kids. No Nordstrom. No Crate and Barrel. Need I say more?

There's a quick little synopsis. I'm interested to see how my feelings change at 6 months. I'll report back then to let you know. It will likely be 150 degrees out on July 1 so I can already predict now that I may not have too many nice things to say. Time will tell.

As an aside. We finally got our driver's licenses today. We went to a new place and were fully expecting it to take 4 hours or so. We were out in an hour and that even accounted for the 15 minute wait for the broken camera. So, please ignore my previous rant. We also found a much closer place for the license plates. We need to do that too. Don't tell the authorities.

note from the publisher: our technical difficulties our more serious than previously thought and require us to mail in our computer for who knows how long. Mark is bringing home his old work computer as that is easier than having me committed. I can still blog from that but I probably won't be doing many photos. Sorry. I know seeing Wyatt's smiling face makes your day...ok maybe just for the grandparents.

No comments: