Thursday, March 6, 2008

++Conflicted++

I was just thinking about this this morning so I thought I would share. I'm guessing (and hoping) I'm not the only person out there going through this.

I swear I live my life in a conflicted state. There are so many things I'd like to be better at or do more of but there always seems to be something else that stands in the way:
--I want to eat less processed foods...but preparing them always seems more complicated and time consuming.
--I'd like to work out more, but that often takes away from time spent preparing healthy meals (see above).
--I'd like to eat more organic and natural foods...but don't want to spend twice as much every week on groceries.
--We'd like to live greener but I feel like no one else is on board so if I brought my own bags to the grocery store I'd be "that weird lady". They don't even recycle cardboard boxes down here!
--We'd like to have a clutter-free home but when I look at "decorated" homes they always look so nice.
--We'd like to take a more minimalist approach to toys in our house (I keep reading that less is more) but whenever I take Wyatt to a toy store and his eyes light up I see all sorts of things that would be fun to have.
--I want my house to always be clean and picked up, but I have a little tornado that blows through all day long and I start to think "what's the point?"
--We want to watch less TV to free up more time for all of the above but at night we are always too exhausted to do anything else.

I guess we are still in search of the 26 hour day. It's funny. When I signed Wyatt up for his school I thought I would have so much free time to do all sorts of fun things ( I even wrote a page long list of ideas). Here we are, 6 weeks later and I haven't tackled any of them. Hopefully it will get better when we are done with all the house projects. I am sure by then, something else will pop up.

The exciting news: the granite will be installed on Monday so this thing will be done! I can't believe how easy it has been. The dishwasher came this morning and Mark is going to attempt to install the ovens this weekend. Hopefully I don't come home to a mess!

Wyatt stayed home sick today. We're not quite sure what is wrong with him. He doesn't really have a fever. He has a bit of a cough but he just isn't himself. He wants to be held all the time and is happy to just lay around. Sitting still has never been on his agenda so we knew something was up. Hopefully he'll be better or Mark will really pay his dues this weekend.

Other news: Wyatt ate peanut butter today. He has been a horrible eater recently and this morning he was insistent on having a bite of my peanut butter toast. Remember, this kid does not eat bread. So, I gave in. He ate half a piece and proceeded to ask for more. I made him a piece with just butter on it and he ate the whole thing. Don't get too excited. I am sure bread will be on the "out" list again tomorrow. I haven't seen any signs of allergies so we are good. Funny how they have us so worked up about peanut allergies that I almost expected him to react somehow.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Well, here in Chicago people bring their own bags to the grocery store.

However, there is no city-wide recycling program. And Mayor Daley wants to be so green...it's so wacked out.