Monday, November 24, 2008

++Making room for baby++

Not long after we learned about #2 being on the way, I started to think about (and dread) the transformations that would need to take place physically with our house to get ready for the new one. When we bought the house a year ago we insisted on getting a house with two bedrooms on the main floor for a new baby if that were to happen. In the mean-time, we put Wyatt in the room across the hall from us to keep things easy.
As time has passed, I started to realize that evicting him from his room would be easier said than done. Because his room is so centrally located, it just seemed mean to take it away from him, put the new baby in it (who is getting all the attention anyway) and essentially banish him upstairs (a place we don't spend a lot of time right now). So...once again I am eating my words and leaving Wyatt, who is old enough to know better, and putting the new baby upstairs, because she isn't. Secretly I'm hoping it will help me shed the pregnancy pounds...but all the while I know there is another bedroom up there and if I get tired of the up-and-down I can just sleep up there too (don't think Mark will complain about that!). All the while just crossing our fingers that we get another one that sleeps through the night at 8 weeks.

The flip side of all this is the crib and bed issue. In addition to the room swap, I have been dreading taking Wyatt's crib away. He seems to love it and most of all: he is such a good sleeper! I didn't want to mess with a good thing. We've been talking up the bed big time. More importantly, we picked him out some bedding that hit on all of his favorites: firetrucks, buses, diggers, taxis, tractors, etc. All the while being surprisingly cute to look at (thank you very much Land of Nod). Well, the box came yesterday (we're still waiting for the new furniture). Wyatt couldn't wait to take it out and look at it. Then he wanted to test it out:


We then moved it into his room and played on it for a while longer. At bedtime when it was time to read stories, he insisted we do it on the "blanket" and when it was time to go into his crib--nope! He wanted to sleep on the floor. So we left the room with Wyatt on the floor on top of his new comforter fully expecting to see him in a couple of minutes...nope again! We put him in his crib before we went to bed. He asked about his blanket again first thing in the morning. Tonight I think we will bring the mattress into his room and go with it until the actual bed arrives...this could work out fine. That is, until we encounter the first night he decides he isn't ready for bed...


More on the rest of the transformations to follow...including some photos of the babies new room (that's getting a paint job this weekend).
I'm working on brining my turkey for the big day tomorrow. I'm trying out this apple cider brine. I'll let you know how it goes! I think the hardest part is finding something big enough to submerge your turkey in...especially since it's not cold enough here just to put it out in the garage!

No comments: