Wednesday, January 2, 2008

++Wow++

I thought I was ready for this madness. I was really good about not being too sappy about leaving my friends and our little house, etc. I think I really had myself fooled that this wasn't going to phase me. I was doing really well ignoring the small pangs of sadness and diving into box after box. The funniest thing made me feel sad, though. I went to the grocery store here and then it hit me...I'm not on vacation and I'm not going home...this is home now.

Still no pictures. I keep taking them though so I'll have lots to post later. Technically we don't have internet access yet. I'm "borrowing" it from some unsuspecting neighbor. There's lots to talk about. I'll add more details later. Here are the highlights of the move:

--new house: I think we are going to get along just fine. I love the family room and kitchen. In fact, that's pretty much where we live. The living room and dining room are empty right now.

--memphis: can't quite say yet. I didn't leave the house until my trip to Kroger this afternoon. The weather the first day was fabulous but today it felt eerily similar to Minnesota at twenty degrees.

--wyatt: he's getting by. I think he was pretty confused. He was away from his bed for ten days. Then he came to this new place...but all his stuff was there. He isn't sleeping or napping very well. I'm not sure if it is all the changes or the cold that he seems to have caught.

--irony: I never thought that there would have been so many things that I actually preferred about our little old house. Yes, the old bathroom was pink and black and the three of us shared one sink. However, in the new bathroom (which is far larger than our old bedroom), there is no place to hang our towels...go figure. Also, if you stand outside the house and look into the glass front doors there is a straight shot on the far left side into our clear glass shower. You can't see the bed, the sinks, the toilet. Nope, just the glass shower. Good thing we figured that out before we learned the hard way.

--savior: my father-in-law has been here with us the whole time and he has been great. He plays with Wyatt all day and helps us out at night. Yesterday they went to the park, but when he decided it was too cold out, they went to McDonalds for french fries instead. That's the kind of thing Grandpas do best.

We're hanging in there. We're down to the last ten boxes or so. All the things that were stashed in the basement because they didn't really have a home in the old house. Now we need to try to find a home for them here. Or just throw them away. That is what Mark will vote for I'm sure. My parents arrive on Friday and my mom can help me find the smart spot for everything. Everything in the kitchen is technically put away...just don't expect me to find anything.

Keep in touch! I laughed as I looked at our art collection. Half of it is Minnesota stuff. People are going to think we are obsessed...maybe they are right.

2 comments:

Melissa Ho said...

We already miss you. Nicole and I were just wondering how you were getting along. It sounds like you have everything under control as usual. We will take a picture of playgroup tomorrow and send to you. Take care

Melissa said...

Good to hear from you KTPPN-H. :) I have been thinking about you! ...and highlighting weekends on my calendar that I can come visit!